Saturday, March 10, 2012

Why am I having video problems with my gaming PC?

I am having very frustrating video problems with my gaming PC. I am having at least some problem with almost every single game.



I own this video card.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365



It was working wonderfully. I was using it with an Intel dual core 2.4 GHz processor. I decided to upgrade to a Quad-core 3.0 GHz processor. I bought this gaming motherboard...



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358



And I bought this processor



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130



Now I am having all sorts of problems. My games will frequently lock up and/or crash after a few minutes of playing. Sometimes I will get a crash to desktop. Other times, the textures will all disappear or go crazy, right before a crash. Sometimes I get a blue screen of death and a reboot. I can reduce the frequency of these crashes by turning down or turning off anti-aliasing (if there is any).



Sometimes I use the "report this problem" after a reboot and the problem is usually blamed on a "device driver" or "video card driver". I have tried all kinds of stuff like rolling back drivers and updating drivers, but the problem never goes away. I even did a completely fresh re-install of Windows XP with the new motherboard, and that did not work. The problems are still there. Dragon Age, Call of Duty 4, Batman: Arkum Asylum, and GTA IV especially all have this huge problem. When I had my old motherboard and processor, GTA IV worked perfectly. Now, I am lucky if I can play it for ten minutes.



How do I troubleshoot this? How come when I upgraded my motherboard and my processor my video card is constantly bombing? Could this be a power consumption issue? A motherboard issue? Processor issue? I have not upgraded my power supply in a long time. It is slightly below the recommended wattage for my video card, but I have used power consumption calculators that I found on-line that show that I have enough voltage on the rail that the video card uses to be OK.



I need advice. I don't mind replacing the power supply, but I don't want to replace it and still have this same problem.Why am I having video problems with my gaming PC?
It certainly sounds like power to me..That video card uses a lot of power I have about the set up but my card is the 260...I have 750W corsair PSU...all run great can play COD MW2 for hours no glitches!
  • pf changs locations
  • what is a smartphone
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment